For online shipping orders only, allow two business days to ship.
In 1826 Hugh Barton, already proprietor of Château Langoa Barton, purchased part of the big Léoville estate which then became Château Léoville Barton. The property still belongs to the Barton family; it is classified as a second growth and is situated in the centre of the appellation Saint Julien. The current owners believe very much in the importance of "terroir" and consequently produce a true Saint Julien wine of great finesse and perfect balance avoiding the trend of excessive extraction and extreme alcohol. Twice in the history of Léoville Barton, the proprietor has been obliged to flee from France. Hugh in 1793 during the French Revolution returned to Ireland after a short stay in prison in Bordeaux. It was some years later that he bought Léoville Barton. Ronald Barton also had to abandon his home in 1940 just before the arrival of the German forces. He returned in 1945 to make one of the finest vintages ever.