Domaine Jean-Louis Chave is a family owned winery. It has been passed from father to son since 1481. The Domaine is currently under the direction of Jean-Louis Chave, though his father, Gérard, is still around the domaine for occasional advice.
When phylloxera hit in the 19th century, the family was obliged to move down to the Rhône valley to diversify into fruit farming, basing themselves in the village of Mauves where the cellars are today. It was at this time that a particularly smart ancestor decided to cross the Rhône river and lay claim to parcels of land on the hill of Hermitage.